For men looking to have a baby with a partner or who are donating sperm at a sperm bank, healthy sperm production is an important metric. Here are some helpful tips on how to increase the quantity and quality of your sperm:
Do the following:
- Have a Healthy Lifestyle – Exercise moderately and eat nutritious foods. Improving your health will improve the quality of your sperm.
- Rest up – Make sure you get enough sleep at night, drink plenty of liquids, and minimize stress.
- Ejaculate every 48 hours – Your bodies sperm production is linked to secretion. The more you use, the more your body will try to produce. If you are a Sperm Donor, it is best to ejactulate during your scheduled visits per the Sperm Banks recommended guidelines.
Avoid the following:
- Avoid Smoking – Smoking is bad for your health and can also impact your sperm production in negative ways. Smoking is associated with lower sperm counts and decreased motility and has even been linked to higher percentage chances of miscarriages.
- Avoid Drinking and Drug Use – Avoid excessive alcohol and recreational drug use. Both can impact sperm production and motility, as well as impact your overall health.
- Avoid Hot Tubs and Hot Baths – High temperatures kill sperm. Your testicles are outside your body for a reason, and that reason is body temperature. Sperm prefer a lower temperature to stay healthy, so avoid submerging yourself in hot liquids.
- Avoid tight underwear – Due to higher temperatures, avoid wearing tight fitting underwear. It is better to wear boxers and other looser underwear
If you are interested in becoming a sperm donor, check out the list of Sperm Banks on our site.